Dialectics in Meditative Experience
With Linda Modaro and Nelly Kaufer
April 30 – May 4, 2021
Online via Zoom
To appreciate the art of investigating the diversity of meditative experience, it helps to value the richness and complexity of our meditation. In Reflective Meditation, we encourage meditators to “get on their own side” and meditate in a caring, holding environment; inner exploration comes out of that container. Nelly and Linda have put together several dialectics that are noticeable within our meditative experience. We can point to them, see how they combine with each other, and how they contribute to ethical awareness in our uncertain, unpredictable daily life.
During this online retreat, we will teach an open meditation practice that is followed by reflection and journaling. The roots of this practice are to be found in the Buddha’s early teachings and are based on learning to trust the ways of knowing that develop in meditation, enabling you to be more responsive and present in your life.
We offer a schedule that includes several meditation sessions per day, dharma talks, small group reflection, along with free time. If you have not been on a retreat with us before, please schedule a time to speak with one of the teachers so you can better acquaint yourself with our philosophy.
For retreats and larger workshops we have established our registration fees and dana as a range, rather than setting one amount to cover expenses with a request for an additional donation for the teachings. The low end of the range covers expenses for the online retreat. Payment at the higher ranges support the teaching for Linda and Nelly, and students experiencing financial challenges. We do not want to turn anyone away for lack of financial resources. Your support will benefit both Linda and Sati Sangha, and Nelly and Pine Street Sangha.
DANA AND SUPPORT
Deposit: $50 non-refundable deposit
Suggested Fees and Support Range: $100-$700
Pandemic Assistance: Please give as you can.
Sati Sangha will be taking care of the dana for this retreat and splitting it with Pine Street Sangha. Deposits and support/dana can be given via PayPal or check. Please note that it is for the online retreat. https://satisangha.org/donate/
Friday night, April 30, 2021 *All times are in PDT
5:00-6:30pm Introductions and Orientation
7:30-8:30pm Meditation and reflection
Saturday – Tuesday, May 1-4th (Tuesday ending at 6:30pm)
9:00-10:00am Daily online group – short talk, meditation, reflection, short sharing
10:30-11:30am Reflection Group – longer time to explore your experience in meditation
3:30-4:30pm Meditation and reflection
5:00-6:30pm Dharma conversations and small group conversations
7:30-8:30pm Meditation and reflection
AGREEMENTS TO PARTICIPATE
• Beginning with self honesty – being truthful with yourself
• Respecting autonomy – the right for you to control the direction of your meditation practice
• Avoiding actions that harm yourself and other participants during our sessions
• Practicing confidentiality
• Treating different kinds of experience and people equitably
BASIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR PRACTICE
• Choose a comfortable position – we will be meditating for 30-40 minutes. You can choose to meditate for a shorter amount of time.
• Let your thoughts, feelings and sensations move, holding your body relatively still. You may start with any practice you feel comfortable with, and change the focus of your practice at any time during the sitting.
• If you feel overwhelmed at any point you can open your eyes, you can bring your focus to an object (your body, a phrase or picture, the breath), or you can get up and move around.
• At the end of your meditation session, reflect back upon your experience by writing it down or simply remembering.
• We encourage you to explore your experience in meditation daily in the small reflection groups.
• Log in a few minutes early for meetings. Your device will be muted upon entry. Please keep silence when you come on the call.
• In the upper right hand corner of the video you can choose speaker view or gallery view. Speaker view allows you to see the speaker full screen, and gallery view shows all participants full screen.
• Mute and stop video functions are in the lower left hand corner. Locations may be different on iPad or smartphone.
• Unmute when you choose to speak. You can choose to turn your video on or off. Please keep your video off during meditation sessions. If you are using an iPad or smartphone, please stabilize the device. If you move around, please turn off the video.
• We request that you use a private room whenever possible. A headset with a built in microphone is optimal, but not required.
• For optimal video conferencing, please consider rebooting your computer (and modem in some cases) some time before the meeting, and closing out all browser windows when on the call.
• Please understand that we will not be able to offer technical assistance once each session has started. You can email before or after the sessions and we will try to help at those times.
RETREAT TEACHERS & FACILITATORS